Most buyers love a “move in ready” home. A home will be less appealing to the masses if there are noticeable repairs, visible damages and a dirty appearance. If budget and time allow then hiring a home inspector before you put your home on the market is highly recommended. Most homes will have to be inspected by a licensed home inspector before the sale of the home closes – per the lender. Why not be ahead of the game? Otherwise, use these helpful tips to get your home ready for a quick sale. Hire a professional for the trickier fixes!
- Installing new lighting is one of the most economical face lifts you can give your property.
- Outdated fixtures make your property feel outdated to buyers.
- Install new light bulbs. Make sure to use the correct wattage for the light fixture.
- Install new toilets if the current ones are old & damaged.
- Clean windows both inside and outside.
- Repair broken windows.
- Make sure windows slide on tracks easily.
- Wash window screens and replace damaged ones.
- Update blinds if current ones are old & damaged.
- Repair/replace the garbage disposal if needed.
- Repair or update the faucets in sinks and bathrooms, including shower heads.
KITCHENS & BATHROOMS
- Kitchens and bathrooms must be immaculate.
- Update appliances if possible.
- Check doors and cabinets to make sure they open smoothly. Repair if needed.
- Tighten doorknobs.
- Re-caulk and re-grout showers, tubs and sinks.
- Touch-up cabinet paint in bathroom and kitchen.
- Consider upgrading bathroom mirrors.
- Replace missing or broken tiles.
- Replace/repair the garbage disposal if needed.
- Air out and clean inside of cabinets and under sinks.
MISCELLANEOUS INTERIOR FIXES
- Neutral wall, tile & carpet choices are best for selling a home.
- Use bright color accents in pillows, home décor and paintings to liven the space.
- Fix broken doors, screens in windows and loose shutters.
- Clean the interior of the home inside so that it sparkles and smells good.
- Have your HVAC (inside & outside units), water heater and water softener cleaned and serviced.
- Fix holes and/or damages to walls, ceilings, and floors.
CURB APPEAL FOR ENTIRE EXTERIOR OF THE HOME
- Power wash home, driveway, walks, fences, etc. to remove grime, mildew, etc.
- Maintain lawn maintenance
- Add fresh mulch to all planting beds
- Repaint front door and shutters (if needed)
- Prune back shrubs that are covering windows and walkways